Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Nearly Over

I am sad to say that I'm excited the school year is almost over. My expectations proved to be SOOOO very different than the reality of teaching. Maybe it was the population? Maybe it was district expectations? Maybe it was reliving elementary school of the 1970s...whatever it was, I will be able to say I survived first grade.

Today was the big test for my First Graders. Called DIBELs, it assesses risk for reading. We don't use it for risk assessment, we use it for a benchmark (something that the creators of the test clearly stated was NOT the purpose of the test). The golden number is 40: 40 words in one minute. The 1st grade goal was 60% of the students reaching the 40 word goal. About 50% of my English Language Learners made the goal, which is pretty good. Only three little darlings are considered at risk, an even better number going into second grade. Three other little darlings tested at above 70 words/minute. This morning we did alot of mental preparation: we cheered for ourselves, we practiced High Frequency Words, we talked about reading strategies, we cheered some more, we engaged in positive mental feedback...and I think that, all in all, they did great. I'm really proud of the little honey-bunnies.

I had to go to a training tonight, the last of the year, for first year teachers. We spent a lot of time reflecting on what we'd learn, our greatest success and our greatest failures, what we'll do differently next year, etc. I left the question about the greatest lesson I learned blank because I just needed more time to think about it. But driving home I think I know what my greatest lesson is: it's not about me. It's not if I like the lesson, if I think it worked, if it is easy on me. Success is measure on how they do, how they grow, how they succeed. It's all about them. I guess I'll see if it works next year...

5 comments:

Liza said...

I was talking to a mom up here and she referred to April as the last nine months of pregnancy. It does seem that way sometimes. Congratulations. I am sure you learned many things this year.

Manon said...

The world of a "few years back" and the world of today are so different. I can imagine that it's difficult with all the imposed expectations of the district to sometimes find the joy of the teachable moment. One of my friends back here says she spends an amazing amount of time on redundant paper work for the system. Seems to really sap the energy she'd like to spend devoting a little time to kids and the learning part.

I agree; it's all about the them. I think you had a very "aha" moment. But I suspect the creativity and fun you'd like to have is somewhat stifled because of all the bureaucracy. Yes? You impress me as someone who would be a creative, fun teacher. Hope your system requirements and your zest for teaching can find a balance and still get the required test results. Don't lose your "zestiness"! (Yes, I know. Zestiness is not Merriam-Webster approved.) ;)

desertmama said...

It is not a bad thing to say you are ready for the year to be over. The first year (and 2nd, and 3rd...) is always tough! You have done so well considering all the challenges you face with your class and your district. It is a huge milestone to finish your first year.

And yes it is all about the kids and what they learn and accomplish throughout the year, but don't forget that an unhappy teacher makes for an unhappy class. Do things that are fun for you too! Don't let it be so much about them that you forget your life outside the classroom and burn out. You KNOW how easy that is for us teachers to do. We get so caught up in making everything new and perfect that you could easily never sleep, eat or see your family and stay perfectly busy. You have put your students' learning at the top and that's what good teachers do. Count down to your well deserved break!!

HollyB said...

Relieved you "survived" to tell us about it! Hope you get a restful summer break!

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

Wow, that went fast! How great that your class did so well! I know you've made an impact on each of them. Here's to next year! =)

Merry Christmas 2008

Hoe Down! October 31, 2008